To develop an understanding of industrial relations issues relative to the service industry, and to discover the processes involved in achieving industrial harmony and good relations between employees and management.
- To broaden the understanding of the ‘Industrial Relations’ environment, and to learn the principles for managing work based industrial issues with the minimum of conflict.
- To develop an appreciation of the industrial relations system currently in place in Australia today including likely changes in the future.
As an outcome of completing this topic you will be able to:
- To understand the current industrial relations system as it applies to a service environment.
- Describe the types of awards and agreements that apply to service staff.
- Explain the characteristics of union/employer relations and identify their strengths and weaknesses.
- Describe the role of management in developing good industrial relations.
- Explain developments in industrial relations that will impact on business in the new millennium.